vegetarian diet aids weight loss is putting it too simplistically. It is true that vegetarian food helps you manage your weight within limits and under certain circumstances. It is true that vegetarian diet works well for weight loss but it also depends on the kind of foods you choose. If you choose a vegetarian diet that has high calories like deep fried snacks or starchy foods then it is will surely not help you to lose weight.
Few Facts About Vegetarian Diet:
1. A vegetarian diet consisting of fruits, vegetables and whole grains will certainly make you healthier if not slimmer. You have lesser chances of picking up animal based infections like bird flu and tapeworm.
2. It has also been observed that vegetarians are generally leaner than hardcore non vegetarians. This does not directly imply that vegetarian diet helps weight loss. But the situational evidence does support green foods.
3. Fruits and vegetables have high water content apart from being healthy. So they make you feel full for a longer period of time, as result of which you tend to eat less or at least opt for smaller portions of food. Smaller portions of food is definitely a trick for diets that works well.
4. If you choose a vegetarian diet for weight loss then it should definitely be a balanced diet. As you are not getting proteins from animal sources, your diet must include plenty of vegan proteins like pulses, legumes, milk and dairy products. If you fail to supplement meat with other vegetarian proteins then you will be missing out on vital nutrients. You will then be following a fad diet to lose weight faster.
5. Cooking methods are also very important in deciding whether a diet works or not. Whether you are a vegetarian or non vegetarian, deep frying, sweetening and adding excess oil will make you put on weight. Just because you are going vegan, it does not give you license to binge.
6. Not all junk foods contain meat or eggs. A cheese burger is just as fattening as a ham cheese burger. Fried potato chips is just as high in calories as deep fried chicken nuggets. So if you are on a vegetarian diet to lose weight then you have to ditch junk foods altogether. Being vegetarian will only give you that extra push.
There are many celebrities who turned vegetarian. The list includes big names such as Pamela Anderson, Natalie Portman and Kareena Kapoor. We might be tempted to think that vegan foods is a shot to lose weight. However, the fact remains that you have to choose the right kind of vegetarian diet for weight loss. Vegetarians must be embraced as a lifestyle choice and not as a clever ploy to lose weight fast. Don't you agree?