Diabetes is a massive public health concern across the world. In India too, this deadly disease is taking a serious shape. Worse, diabetes remains undiagnosed in a lot of people till the time complications set in.
However, this article is not about pressing the panic button. Diabetic people can still enjoy a lot of things in their life, given they do things a bit more carefully.
Also Read: Healthy Substitutes For Sugar
It is not that they will have to eat prescribed 'tasteless' low-carbohydrate and low-sugar foods for the sake of eating and keep their health running somehow.
Here, we list 10 diabetic-friendly super-tasty foods that can be eaten without any concern or guilt:
1. Fried Sweet Potatoes: Instead of the salty potato chips or chilli cheese fries, go for sweet potatoes fried in olive oil with chilli powder, onions and low-fat cheese in moderation. Sweet potatoes have a low GI level and a high content of fibre and vitamins.
2. Chicken With Avocado: Seared chicken along with avocados, which are a great source of unsaturated fats and vitamin E, make a great dish for the diabetic patients.
3. Applesauce Pancakes: Since you can't have butter, eat pancakes made of applesauce to both avoid the fat and eat 'sweet' pancakes.
4. Fresh Berries And Maple Cream: Maple syrup is good for diabetic patients; and you can have it/cream along with fresh berries for a terrific dish without any fear of the consequences. Berries have a low GI and contain antioxidants, fibre and vitamins.
5. Fish Tomato: Fish, which is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, and tomatoes are good for diabetic patients. Fry fish in moderate oil and have it with tomato slices. The low calories and high content of vitamin C will do wonders for your health.
6. Cantaloupe-Yogurt Dessert: Cantaloupe though has a high GI level, it also contains fibre and beta-carotene that are good for patients with diabetes. Fat-free yogurt along with it makes the dessert all the more diabetic-friendly.
7. Pure Honey Grapefruit With Banana: Instead of picking sweets in the dessert that can cause you great harm, go for grapefruit which has a low glycaemic index (GI). Bananas too have a low GI index and fibre, which are good for diabetic patients.
8. Blueberry Muffins: Another perfect fruity item for those having diabetes, blueberry has a low GI index and also contains fibre. Use mint in preparing this. This 'free food' adds flavour.
9. Black Bean And Barley Salad: Though this has a high content of carbohydrates, this salad also includes a decent amount of fibre, which is low in cholesterol. One serving is excellent when taken as a lunch item.
10. Spinach Pasta: Have more spinach and less pasta in this excellent diabetic-friendly dish. Less portion of pasta will mean you will have less carbohydrate intake.