Sarson da saag is one of the most lip smacking North Indian dish. This main course sabji is made with spinach. Sarson da saag is well served with makki ki roti (Maize flat bread). You can make this authentic spinach curry at home and enjoy it with plain or makki ki roti. Sarson da saag is healthy as it is made with spinach and mustard, but the sabji is rich in calories as the curry is made with butter. You can use unsalted low fat butter if you are diet conscious. Check out the easy recipe to make sarson da saag.
Sarson da saag recipe:
Preparation time: 45 minutes
- Sarso/mustard greens- 500 gms (finely chopped)
- Spinach- 700 gms (chopped)
- Garlic- 2tbsp (chopped)
- Ginger- 2tsp (minced)
- Onion- 1 cup (finely chopped)
- Green chillies- 2-3 (sliced)
- Red chilli powder- 1tsp
- Maida/all purpose flour- 1tbsp (optional)
- Salt- according to taste
- Butter- 1tbsp
- Ghee- 3tbsp
- Wash the chopped sarso and spinach and clean the leaves.
- Boil them together with salt on low flame till they become soft. Drain the water from the vegetables and then mash them completely with a spoon. You can even grind them into a paste if required. Let it cool.
- Heat ghee in a medium sized pan. Saute the onions, green chillies, ginger and garlic together. Cook for 2-3 minutes till the onion pieces become tender and golden brown.
- Add the mashed green vegetables (sarson and spinach) in the pan and sprinkle salt. Cook on low flame for 30-45 minutes. Stir at regular intervals.
- You can add maida to make the saag thick. Just whisk maida with little water and then add in the pan. You can also add paneer (cottage cheese) to add the flavour of the dairy product.
- When you see that the saag has become thick and a thin layer of ghee is forming on the surface, put the pan off flame.
Serve the sarson da saag. Garnish with butter. Enjoy the north Indian sabji recipe with rotis.