Erissery is a very popular Kerala recipe that is mostly made out of a pumpkin. People love to savour erissery as one of the onam recipes. This is a very simple pumpkin recipe that can be easily made with a few ingredients. Being a part of the traditional Kerala cuisine an erissery recipe is very popular. Pumpkin erissery is a simple vegetarian dish that is loved by all due to its delicate flavours and aroma.
You may try making a pumpkin erissery at any time in the house.
Onam brings in a festive mood among all the Keralites. So, why not
make these days all the more special by serving erissery to all
your family members. Pumpkin erissery is generally served with a
rice preparation. Try one of the most popular Onam recipes and
tangle the taste buds of your loved ones with this awesome
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
- Pumpkin- 4-5 cups (cut into small cubes)
- Red Beans-1 cup
- Turmeric Powder- 1-1 ½ tsp
- Coconut- 1 cup (grated)
- Green Chillies- 1tsp
- Mustard Seeds- ½ tsp
- Dry Red Chillies- 2
- Urad Dal- 1tsp
- Shallots-3 (sliced)
- Curry Leaves-5-6
- Salt- To taste
- Coconut Oil or Vegetable Oil- 4-5tbsp
- Take a pressure cooker and add the red beans and some salt to it. Bring it down after 2 whistles. Strain the extra water and keep the beans aside in a small bowl.
- Now take a deep bottomed frying pan over the gas oven and add some 6-7 cups of water. Add the pumpkin cubes, turmeric powder and some salt to it. Boil it on a high flame for 8-10 minutes. Turn off the gas oven after the pumpkin gets boiled.
- Add the red beans to it and stir well. Mash the pumpkin in the pan itself and see that it forms an uniform mixture. Take it off the oven and keep aside.
- Take the ¾ th the coconut, cumin and green chillies in a blender and mix well. Add this mixture to the frying pan. Stir well on a low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Now take another frying pan over the gas oven and keep on a low flame. Add coconut or vegetable oil to it.
- Sprinkle the mustard seeds in the oil and let them sprout. Now add the dry red chillies, urad dal, shallots, remaining coconut and curry leaves to it. Stir on a low flame for 2-3 minutes over a low flame and then turn off the gas oven
- Take this mixture and spread it over the pumpkin curry.
- Your pumpkin erissery is now ready to be served.
The main flavour in a pumpkin erissery comes from the fried coconut and curry leaves that is added to it at the last.