Chana recipes are very popular. The best part of a chana recipe is that you get to have lots of protein in your diet. Paneer chana is made of paneer (cotton cheese), chickpeas (chana) and a lot of spices. Irrespective of being a vegetarian or a non-vegetarian a chana masala recipe is loved by all. And most importantly this also happens to be one of the most spicy and hot paneer recipes
It is actually a Punjabi recipe that has become immensely popular. You can have paneer chana with rice or roti. This chana recipe can also be savoured without the complements of any main course dish. Paneer recipes as such are the easiest to make. But, in order to make paneer chana you first have to soak the chana or chickpeas overnight in water. Here is the recipe for making paneer chana.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
- Chana (chickpeas)- 3-4 cups
- Tea Bags- 2
- Onions- 2-3 (finely chopped)
- Ginger Garlic Paste- 2tbsp
- Green Chillies- 3 (finely chopped)
- Tomato- 1 (finely chopped)
- Red Chilly Powder- ½tbsp
- Kashmiri Mirch Powder- ½ tbsp
- Turmeric Powder- ½tbsp
- Sugar- 1tsp
- Paneer (cottage cheese- 2 cups (cut into small cubes)
- Garam Masala- 1tbsp
- Salt- To taste
- Vegetable oil- 4-5tbsp
- Soak the chana (chickpeas) over night in water. Soak a tea bag into the same for a dark colour.
- Next day pressure cook the chana for 1-2 whistles on a high flame. Soak a tea bag into the same for a dark colour. Open the lid after the pressure releases. Keep aside.
- Take a deep bottomed frying pan over the gas oven and then add the vegetable oil to it. Fry the onions in low heat. Saute until golden brown.
- Now add the ginger garlic paste, green chillies, tomato and some salt. Stir all the ingredients on a medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the red chilly powder, Kashmiri mirch powder, turmeric powder and sugar to it now. Stir well for a minute.
- Add the paneer pieces now and fry them for 1-2 minutes on low flame.
- Now add the chanas to the pan. Mix well with all the ingredients and keep stirring on a medium flame for 3-4 minutes. Add 1-1½ cups of water and bring it to boil. Keep on a high flame and let all the water get absorbed.
- Sprinkle the garam masala and then bring the paneer chana down.
- Your Punjabi recipe is now ready to be served.
Sprinkle some garam masala or black pepper powder on the top of paneer chana and serve it hot.