Kofta curry can be made with a variety of ingredients. Banana kofta is a specialty of the Eastern states of India. This kofta recipe includes raw bananas and potatoes. Mashed potatoes give some binding strength to the mushy banana koftas. Banana kofta is a rich Indian curry with the deep fried potato and banana koftas floating in it. Definitely not a low calorie health food but delicious and rich nonetheless.
Ingredients For Kofta Curry:
1. raw bananas (boiled and skinned) 4
2. potatoes (boiled and skinned) 2
3. onions (paste) 2
4. cloves garlic (paste) 8
5. inch ginger (paste) 2
6. tomato (chopped finely) 1
7. green chillies 2
8. cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
9. bay leaf 1
10. red chilli powder 2 teaspoons
11. cumin powder 2 teaspoons
12. oil (deep frying) 6 tablespoons
13. ghee 1 teaspoon
14. flour 2 tablespoons
15. salt as per taste
Procedure To Make Kofta Curry:
- Pressure cook the raw bananas and potatoes for 4 whistles.
- Meanwhile make a paste of onions, garlic and ginger.
- After the boiled vegetable cool, peel their skins and mash them with the back of a serving spoon.
- Add half the paste you have made to this mash along with salt and a bit of flour. Mix the ingredients together.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan until it steams. Make round balls or koftas out of the mashed vegetables you have prepared.
- Deep fry the koftas in oil. Make sure you do this on low flame for at least 10 minutes so that the koftas get cooked from inside.
- In another pan, heat ghee and season it with bay leaf, green chillies and cumin seeds.
- Add the rest of the paste in the pan and cook it on low flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and season it with salt so that it melts quickly. Cook until the tomato melts to a juicy pulp.
- Mix red chilli and cumin powder in a bowl of water and pour it into the pan. Let it bubble and thicken into a gravy.
- Now carefully drop the koftas into the curry. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Banana kofta curry is ready. You can have it with steamed rice or hot rotis.