Aloo dum is one of the most popular main course Indian dishes. Aloo dum is prepared by many methods at different places. For example, in West Bengal, posto (khus lhus) is used to make the gravy of the aloo dum thick. Whereas in South, grated coconut is used to make the gravy. But in restaurants, you will find a mix of Indian spices, coconut and tomato ketchup. Yes, in many households, women replace tomato puree with tomato ketchup. The sweet and spicy taste of this Indian side dish can be best enjoyed with fried rice or Indian bread.
Check out the recipe to make the sweet and spicy aloo dum with tomato ketchup.
Sweet and spicy aloo dum, Indian side dish recipe:
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- Potatoes- 5-6 (boiled)
- Onions- 2
- Tomato- 1
- Green chillies- 3-4
- Ginger and garlic paste- 2tsp
- Grated coconut- 1tsp
- Tomato ketchup- 2tbsp
- Turmeric powder- 1tsp
- Red chilli powder- 1.5tsp
- Coriander powder- 2tsp
- Clove- 1
- Cinnamon- 1 inch
- Cardamom- 1
- Garam masala- 1tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Bay leaf- 1
- Dry red chillies- 2
- Oil- 3tbsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Grind onion, tomato and green chillies to make a paste. You can add little water to get the desired consistency. Keep the paste aside.
- In a bowl, mix turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt together. Add little water and mix again. Keep the masala aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Season it with cumin seeds, bay leaf, dry red chillies, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Now add the grounded paste with ginger garlic paste to the pan and cook for 2 minutes on high flame. Pour the masala into the pan and mix well.
- When the oil starts floating on the surface, add the grated coconut, garam masala and tomato ketchup. Mix well and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile peel the boiled potatoes and cut them into four pieces. Once the gravy thickens, add the boiled potatoes and gently mix. Cook for another 1 minute.
Aloo dum with tomato ketchup is ready to eat. Garnish with onion rings and chopped coriander leaves. Serve it hot with rotis or rice.