Rice is a staple food item in many parts of the world. Without rice, a meal is incomplete. Turkish rice is a sweet and spicy pulao recipe that can add a different taste to your meal. You can have Turkish rice with chutney or with Manchurian sauce. The recipe is very easy and can be made within 30 minutes. If you wish to try a new rice dish, check out the recipe to make sweet and spicy Turkish pulao.
Turkish pulao recipe:
Preparation time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Rice- 1 cup
- Onion- 2 (chopped)
- Tomato- 1 (chopped)
- Jaggery- 3-4tsp
- Ground nuts- 5-8 pieces
- Cashew nuts- 8-10 pieces
- Turmeric powder- 1tsp
- Red chilli powder- 1tsp
- Garam masala- ½tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Oil- 2tsp
- Water- 2 cups
- Wash the rice in flowing water. Clean the grains and then keep the wet rice aside.
- In a bowl, add tomatoes, jaggery, garam masala, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. Let it marinate for 3-4 minutes.
- Now heat oil in a pressure cooker. When the oil becomes hot, add the cumin seeds and chopped onions. Saute till the onion pieces become tender and look golden brown.
- When the onion looks cooked, add the ground nuts and cashew nuts to the pressure cooker. Mix well and cook on low flame for few seconds.
- Now add the marinated tomato masala in the cooker and saute well on medium flame for 2 minutes till the tomatoes become tender.
- Slowly add the washed rice in the cooker and mix well so that the masala is equally absorbed by the grains. Add water and stir.
- Now sprinkle salt and then close the pressure cooker lid. Let it cook on 2-3 whistles. For best results, reduce to low flame after the first whistle blows.
Take out steaming hot pressure cooked Turkish pulao and garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve it hot. While preparing, you can also add other vegetables like carrots, beans and capsicum. Avoid using sugar as it can spoil the taste of the pulao and also make it sticky. Prefer jaggery as it is healthy and also makes the rice look non-sticky.