Rice is a staple dish in many countries. When talking about India, rice is very common in southern and eastern states like West Bengal, Bihar and Assam to name a few. Rice is most commonly teamed up with sambhar or dal and sabji.
Tomato rice is a common rice recipe that is famous in the South-Indian states. You can have this vegetable rice for breakfast or for lunch. How about modifying this rice a little and preparing a more delicious and spicy dish? Tomato garlic rice is a dish that has been picked up from the Spanish fried rice method. This Indian rice recipe is modified a little with spices. Check out the recipe.
Tomato garlic rice recipe:
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
- Rice- 2 cups
- Onions- 2 (finely chopped)
- Capsicum- 1 (finely chopped)
- Tomatoes- 2 (finely chopped)
- Green chillies- 3-4 (chopped)
- Garlic paste - 4tbsp (you can also use garlic chutney)
- Cinnamon- 1
- Clove- 2
- Red chilli powder- 1tsp
- Garam masala- 1tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Bay leaf- 1
- Dry red chilli- 2
- Salt- as per taste
- Oil- 2tbsp
- Coriander leaves- 2tbsp (chopped)
- Wash the rice and boil in water. Stir at intervals and drain the extra water after the rice gets cooked. Keep it aside and let it cool.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. When the oil starts steaming, sprinkle cumin seeds, bay leaf, dry red chilli and mix. Now add cinnamon and clove.
- Add the vegetables namely onions and capsicum. Cook on medium flame for a minute.
- Now add garlic paste, tomatoes, green chillies and salt. Cook on medium flame for 2 minutes.
- If you are using garlic chutney then add it.
- Sprinkle red chilli powder, garam masala and then mix well. Now add the boiled rice. Mix well so that the masala is absorbed by the rice. Cook on low flame for a minute.
Tomato garlic rice is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves and chopped tomatoes. Serve it hot with masala gravy.