Rice is one of the most common main course dishes. Even if you have stomach full of paranthas or rotis such as kulcha or naan, your meal is incomplete without a spoonful of rice. When you check out the menu to find rice, you find a list of rice varieties. Rice pulao, peas pulao or biryani, you find authentic rice dishes to serve your palate. White rice may add an extra pounds to your weight. But, the flavour and smell of rice makes it a must have! If you want to prepare rice today, you can try shahi pulao. Lets check out this easy to make rice recipe.
Shahi pulao recipe:
- Rice- 2 cups
- Green peas, boiled- ½cup
- Onion, chopped- 1 (optional)
- Garlic paste- 1tsp (optional)
- Green chillies, finely chopped- 3-4
- Paneer/tofu cubes- ½cup
- Bay leaves- 1-2
- Cashew nuts- 2tsp
- Raisins- 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Cinnamon- 1-2 sticks
- Cloves- 3
- Cardamom- 5-6
- Saffron- 1 pinch
- Ghee- 6tbsp
- Coriander leaves, chopped- 1tbsp
Direction to make shahi pulao:
- Wash the rice grains in running water. Boil it in a deep vessel. Strain and let the rice grains cool. Keep it aside.
- Heat 1tsp ghee in a pan. Fry the cashew nuts for 1 minute on medium flame. Keep it aside.
- Now fry the raisins in the same ghee for 1 minute and keep it aside.
- Add rest of the ghee in the pan. Put cumin seeds and bay leaves.
- Put cinnamon, cardamom, clove and green chillies and fry. If you want to add onions and garlic, you can add them now. And fry for few minutes.
- Now add panner/tofu, rice and green peas in the pan. Mix well so that the ghee is absorbed by the rice grains.
- Sprinkle salt as per the taste. The rice should look shiny with ghee. If the ghee is less, add few more tbsp as required.
- Meanwhile, soak saffron in a little bowl of warm water. Mix with a spoon till the red colour comes.
- Add the saffron colour and mix the rice. Cook for few seconds. Put the pan off flame.
- Garnish with plain or roasted cashew nuts, raisins and coriander leaves.
Shahi pulao is ready. You can make this rice recipe and eat with any thick gravy or with vegetable salad.