Kashmiri pulao is a very popular Indian rice recipe. It has a blend of dry fruits and a lovely aroma of spices like saffron. This vegetable pulao is very easy to make and is less time consuming. Whenever you have some time at hand just go into the kitchen and try this Indian rice recipe. All foodies would simply love to have a taste of this extremely delightful pulao recipe. Kashmiri pulao can be incorporated in the main menu list for any occasion. Add the vegetables in this pulao recipe according to your wish. But here in this recipe of Kashmiri pulao we will primarily use dry fruits.
Try out this pulao recipe.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- Basmati Rice- 500gms
- Cashew Nuts- 1 cup
- Almonds-1 cup
- Raisins- ½ cup
- Bay Leaves-1-2
- Cinnamon sticks- 1-2
- Cardamom- 2-3
- Cloves- 2-3
- Cumin Seeds- 1tsp
- Khoya Kheer or Macadam- 1 cup
- Nutmeg Powder- 1 tsp
- Star Spice Powder- ½tsp
- Milk- 1 ½lt
- Sugar- 1-2tsp
- Saffron- 1tsp
- Ghee or Vegetable Oil- 4-5tbsp
- Apples- 3 cups (chopped)
- Grapes- 2 cups (chopped)
- Salt- To taste
For The Kashmiri Pulao
- Soak the rice in a bowl full of water for 15-20 minutes.
- Now take a deep bottomed frying pan over a gas oven and add the ghee or vegetable oil to it.
- Add the bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and cumin seeds to the oil and let them crackle.
- Now add the cashew nuts, almonds, raisins, nutmeg powder, star anise powder and some salt to the pan. Stir on a low flame for a minute.
- Strain the water from the rice and it to the frying pan. Saute over a low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the milk, khoya kheer or macadam, sugar and saffron into the mixture. Stir well on a medium flame for 2-3 minutes. add some water if required.
- Lower the flame and cover it with a lid. Let it simmer on a low flame for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and check that the rice is not over-cooked and you can separate its grains.
- Turn off the gas oven and remove the pan from it.
For The Serving
- Serve the rice on four or five plates as desirable.
- Garnish with the chopped apples and grapes.
- Serve the Kashmiri pulao hot.
A serving of fruits makes this pulao recipe special. If you prepare Kashmiri pulao once you will definitely try it again.