Biryani is an authentic Indian dish. This lip smacking recipe is made with boiled rice. For non vegetarians, Hyderabadi biryani can be made with chicken, mutton or beef. But, for veggies, you can make this filling rice recipe using vegetables of your choice. If you are a vegetarian and want to taste this delicacy, check out this Hyderabadi veg biryani recipe.
- 2 cups basmati rice
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup potatoes, cut into two halves
- 2-4 chopped carrots
- 1 chopped capsicum
- 1 cup curd
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 9-12 minced garlic cloves
- 4 tsp green chillies
- turmeric powder
- 2 tsp biryani masala
- red chilli powder
- 1 tsp saffron
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 handful of almonds
- 1 handful of cashew nuts
- 2 tsp raisins
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 5 tbsp ghee
- 2 ½ cups water
Directions to make Hyderabadi veg biryani:
- Boil rice in a pan. Add the biryani masala, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. Stir the rice and boil till the rice cooks. Strain the rice and keep aside.
- Soak almonds in a bowl for 30 minutes and keep aside. In another bowl, whisk the curd and divide in two equal portions.
- Soak saffron in a bowl with milk. After 5 minutes, add it to one portion of the curd.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add bay leaves, cinnamon and cumin seeds. Now add ginger and garlic. Mix well.
- Add onions, capsicum and carrots. Cook on medium flame until they become soft. Now add green chillies and mix well with the vegetables.
- Add turmeric powder and salt to the vegetables. Pour the water and plain curd in the pan and stir well so that the vegetables and masala mix well. Bring the water to boil.
- Add the dry fruits and cook for a minute.
- In a handi, add a layer of cooked vegetables and saffron mixed curd. Sprinkle mint and coriander leaves. Now form a layer of boiled rice on the top. Again make a layer of remaining cooked vegetables and saffron curd.
- Spread the remaining rice and cover the handi with a wet cloth piece. Put the handi in a pre-heated oven and cook for 30 minutes.
Hyderabadi veg biryani is ready. Serve it hot with pudhina (mint) chutney or tomato ketchup.