Pulao is a yummy main course dish that is made with rice. There are various ways to make rice pulao using different ingredients. You can either make vegetable pulao, peas pulao, ghee rice, capsicum rice or dahi (curd rice). Curd rice is a famous South-Indian dish. Here we will make dahi rice using not just curd but also vegetables and milk.
This dahi rice recipe is different from the famous curd rice.
Curd rice is made with curd, boiled rice, mustard seeds and salt.
Dahi rice has more than curd and rice. Lets check out the
Dahi rice pulao recipe:
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- Rice- 500gms
- Curd- 250gms
- Milk- 1 cup
- Onion- 2 (sliced)
- Mixed vegetables- 1 cup (comprises of chopped potatoes, beans, carrot and green peas)
- Peppercorn- 6
- Cloves- 2
- Cardamom- 2
- Cinnamon- 1 inch stick
- Chironji/sharoli- 1tsp
- Cashew nuts- 8-10 pieces
- Raisins- 3-6
- Saffron- ½ tsp
- Red, yellow and orange colouring- 1tsp
- Salt- To taste
- Ghee- 4tbsp
- Half boil the vegetables in a deep bottomed pan. See that the potatoes and carrots become tender and not completely cooked. Strain and keep aside.
- Heat 1tsp ghee in a frying pan and roast the dry fruits namely cashew nuts and raisins in it.
- Meanwhile, wash the rice and half boil it. Drain the water and keep the rice aside. Let the rice cool.
- When the nuts roast, take them out and in the same ghee, saute the sliced onions till they turn golden brown.
- Mix the onion with roasted nuts.
- Now divide the rice into 3 equal portions. Mix red, orange and yellow colouring in the three portions.
- Heat the rest of ghee in a frying pan and toss all the whole spices in it. Now add the half cooked vegetables and sprinkle salt. Cook for a minute and then put the pan off flame.
- Grease a biryani pan (handi) with ghee or butter. Now put in a layer of yellow rice and then spread curd, vegetables, onion and nuts. Now put another layer of orange rice and repeat the process till the end. Make sure that the uppermost layer is of orange rice.
- Pour milk after the whole handi is layered with rice, vegetables and nuts. Sprinkle saffron and cover the lid and seal it with the dough.
- Cook on low flame for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and take out the pulao.
Dahi rice pulao is ready. Serve it hot with onion and tomato salad.