We Indians are colourful in our taste for food. That is why bland breakfast recipes do not cut any ice with the Indians. We need a little spice and crunch even in the first meal of the day. That is why, Besan ki roti is an excellent Indian breakfast dish. Besan ki roti has just the right amount of masalas to satisfy our Indian taste buds.
The beauty of Indian cuisine lies in its variety. There are several types of rotis that come under this cuisine. The type of roti we are making today is very similar to a paratha. The only difference is, it is not fried but roasted. Besan ki roti is made with besan or gram flour instead of normal all-purpose flour. But that is not all; besan ki roti is also made with lots of zesty spices. These spices are kneaded into the dough to make this breakfast recipe suitable for the Indian palate.
This breakfast recipe cooks very quickly. Even if you are a working woman, you can cook this roti in just few minutes.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Besan or gram flour- 2 cups
- All-purpose flour- ½ cup
- Red chilli powder- 1tsp
- Amchur or dry mango powder- ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Coriander leaves- 2 sprigs (chopped)
- Ghee- 1tbsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Sieve the gram flour and all-purpose flour together.
- Add all the powdered spices namely, red chilli powder and amchur to it.
- Sprinkle salt and cumin seeds. Also add chopped coriander leaves to the flour.
- Now add 1 cup of warm water and knead a dough with all the ingredients.
- You can add the ghee at this stage or use it later to roll out the roties.
- Make small balls out of the kneaded dough that fits into your fist.
- Heat a tawa or flat pan on the gas oven.
- Roll out flat breads from the dough balls using a rolling pin.
- Roast the rotis on the steaming pan for about 1 minute on each side.
You can have masaledar besan ki roti with the pickle of your choice.