Cucumber is once such vegetable that has numerous benefits for your overall health. From controlling your weight to beautifying your skin, cucumber can do it all.
It can be had raw or cooked to obtain its various benefits. Cucumber can also be used to make curries and sambars. Have you ever had of cucumber sambar? For vegetarians, it can be a perfect dish.
Instead of the boring vegetable dal or sambar recipe, try preparing this easy cucumber sambar recipe. You'll just need some simple ingredients to make this sambar.
Also Read: Easy Tasty Potato Onion Sambar Recipe
Another interesting thing is, you can use ash gourd or pumpkin instead of a cucumber as well, and it will also taste really nice.
So, here are the easy steps to prepare cucumber sambar. Read on to know more.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients (for sambar):
1. Medium-sized cucumber - 1 (cut in cubes)
2. Toor dal - 1 cup
3. Black-eyed peas - 1 cup
4. Jaggery - 2 tsp
5. Turmeric powder - ¼th tsp
6. Salt to taste
Ingredients (for sambar masala):
1. Grated coconuts - 2 cups
2. Coriander seeds - 2 tsp
3. Red chillies - 3
4. Urad dal - 2 tsp
5. Chana dal - 2 tsp
6. Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
7. Fenugreek seeds - ½ tsp
8. Tamarind paste - 2 tsp
9. Curry leaves - 1 strand (optional)
10. Asafoetida - A pinch
11. Cooking oil - 1 tsp
Ingredients (for seasoning):
1. Red chilli - 1
2. Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
3. Curry leaves - 1 strand
4. Cooking oil - ½ tsp
Also Read: Special Mixed Pulses Sambar Recipe
1. Wash the black-eyed peas well and soak them in water, leave overnight. Next morning, cook those in a pressure cooker. Switch off the stove after 1 whistle.
2. Keep it aside.
3. Wash toor dal well and add turmeric powder, water and a few drops of oil into it.
4. Pour toor dal into pressure cooker and cook it for three whistles. Don't melt the dal.
5. Now, put the cucumber cubes, salt and water into the same pressure cooker and cook it up to two whistles. Now, the dal will melt completely.
6. Take a pan and dry roast the red chilies, urad dal, chana dal, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds and asafoetida. Don't forget to use 1 tsp of cooking oil.
7. Now, take off the roasted spices from the stove and pour all these into a grinder. Add the grated coconut to the other spices.
8. Add water slowly. You don't need a runny mixture.
9. Grind all ingredients well and make a thick masala.
10. Add this into the pressure cooker that contains the mixture of toor dal and cucumber. Add the black-eyed peas too that you'd kept aside.
11. Add water according to the consistency. Also, add jaggery and salt.
12. Cook the sambar up to 10-15 minutes.
13. In a separate pan, heats some oil and add red chilli, mustard seeds and curry leaves into it. When your sambar is done, temper it with this mixture.
14. Your cucumber sambar is ready to be served.
Now, you know how to prepare the cucumber sambar. You can have it with rice, dosa or idli to enjoy it better.