This recipe has South Indian spices in abundance. The flavour is
by no means mild. Try this rasam recipe only if you have the
temperament for spicy food.
Ingredients For Tamil Rasam:
1. Baby onions 4 (cubed)
2. Tomatoes 2 (crushed)
3. Tamarind juice 1 cup
4. Dry red chillies 3
5. Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
6. Pepper corns 5-6
7. Garlic 5-6 cloves (minced)
8. Ginger 1 inch piece (paste)
9. Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
10. Coriander leaves (chopped) 1 tablespoon
11. Curry leaves 5-7
12. Asfoetida or hing 1 pinch
13. Oil 1 tablespoon
Procedure For Tamil Rasam:
- Grind garlic with ginger, cumin seeds and pepper.
- The tomato has to be beaten into pulp with the tamarind juice.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan. Season it with mustard seeds, hing and dry red chillies.
- Saute the onions in this oil until they turn golden. Then add the garlic-pepper paste to it.
- After cooking for 3 minutes on low flame, add the tomato slush with tamarind juice. Cook for another 3-4 minutes on low flame.
- Add salt, coriander leaves and 4 cups of water to it. Cover and boil for 15 minutes on low flame.
Garnish with curry leaves just before removing from flame.
Enjoy Tamil style rasam with steamed rice.