Kalan is a recipe specially prepared for Vishu, Onam and other such auspicious occasions. This recipe is a specialty of God's own country, Kerala. The Kalan recipe is basically an Indian curry made with curd. The taste of this delicacy is sour. This recipe from Kerala is more like sambhar that is cooked with curd. As Vishu is the Malyali new year and curd is auspicious on such occasion, it perfectly befits the occasion.
Ingredients For Kalan Recipe:
1. Raw bananas (preferably nendran banana) 2 (cut into small pieces)
2. Yams or sweet potatoes 4 (peeled and chopped)
3. Coconut (ground) 3 tbsp
4. Drumsticks 1 (cut into small pieces)
5. Curd 100 grams (beaten)
6. Pepper (ground) 1 tsp
7. Turmeric powder 1 tsp
8. Fried Fenugreek leaves 1 tsp
9. Mustard seeds 1 tsp
10. Dry red chillies 3
11. Green chillies 4 (chopped)
12. Curry leaves
13. Ghee 1 tbsp
14. Salt as per taste
Procedure For Kalan Recipe:
- Cook the chopped vegetables with turmeric in a pressure cooker for the duration of one whistle.
- Strain the vegetables and cook them with beaten curd in a deep bottomed pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes on low flame.
- As the curry starts to thicken, season it with salt, pepper powder and curry leaves.
- In a smaller pan, prepare a mix of sizzling spices to season the Kalan.
- Heat ghee until it steams and add mustard seeds to it. When the mustard seeds pop, add the red chillies.
- Season the curry with this sizzling mix.
- Once it is done, remove the Kalan from the flame. Add grated coconut and green chillies to it as per your taste.
You can garnish the Kalan recipe with chopped coriander leaves.