In a lunch menu, the most important and tasty part is the rice and sambar. You should never miss out on the sambar. Hence, we're sharing with you one of the best potato and onion sambar recipe.
Sambar is, basically, an authentic recipe from South India. No meal can be complete without sambar. Udupi Style Sambar Recipe
Sambar not only tastes good, but also has many health benefits too. As we use vegetables and lentils in the sambar, which are healthy and high on proteins. Therefore, there is an overall benefit of having sambar in your meal, preferably lunch. Sambar also contains fibre that helps in better digestion.
So, today we shall prepare the potato and onion sambar, which is a very simple recipe. You may serve the sambar with hot rice and ghee. Sambar tastes best when had with rotis and chapatis. Spicy Tomato Sambar Recipe For Lunch
Serves - 3
Cooking time - 15 minutes
Preperation time - 15 minutes
- Potato - 1 cup
- Onions -1 cup
- Toor Dal - 1 cup
- Grated Coconut - 1 cup
- Red Chilli Powder - 3 tablespoons
- Coriander (Dhaniya) Seeds - 2 teaspoons
- Chickpeas - 1/2 teaspoon
- Black Gram (Urad Dal) ‑ 1/2 teaspoon
- Raw Rice - 1/2 teaspoon
- Jaggery - 1 teaspoon
- Tamarind - 5 gm or a size of a small lemon
- Curry Leaves - 1/4th teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- In a pressure cooker, add onions, potatoes, toor dal and water. Wait for three whistles.
- Take a small pan. To it add raw rice, dhaniya seeds, black gram, chickpeas and fry it dry.
- Once the mixture cools down, transfer it into the mixy jar.
- Now, to the mixy jar, add tamarind, grated coconut, jaggery, chilli powder and water.
- Grind it to make a smooth paste.
- After the cooker cools down, take the boiled potatoes, onions and tur dal, and tranfer it into another bigger pan.
- Add a little water it to and cook it.
- Now, add the grinded mixture to the potato and dal.
- Add water accordingly.
- Add salt and curry leaves for taste.
- Stir it for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Make sure it boils well and then switch off the stove
- Your tasty potato and onion sambar is now ready to be served
with rice and ghee.
- Try this recipe and do give us your feedback.