Dal is an Indian lentil soup that is prepared with lentils and other grams and pulses. There are many types of dal that can be prepared as a side dish for the main course. You can either boil dal with few spices like turmeric and salt or make it delicious by adding a few vegetables. Dal tadka is most commonly made with grams and vegetables like onion and tomatoes. However, this dal recipe is prepared using potatoes, onions, tomatoes, carrots and capsicum. Spices like garlic, chillies and turmeric powder are used to make the Indian side dish tasty.
Take a look at the recipe to make dal with vegetables.
Dal with vegetables recipe:
Preparation time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Moong dal (split green gram- 1 cup
- Tadka dal (Bengal gram)- 2tbsp
- Potatoes- 2 (peeled and cut into medium size pieces)
- Onions- 2 (finely chopped)
- Capsicum- 1 (finely chopped)
- Carrot- 1 (finely chopped)
- Tomato- 1 (finely chopped)
- Green chillies- 3-4 (minced)
- Ginger- ½ inch (chopped)
- Garlic- 5-6 pods (mashed)
- Turmeric powder- 1½ tsp
- Red chilli powder- 1tsp
- Garam masala- 1tsp
- Amchur (Dry mango powder)- ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds- a pinch
- Bay leaf- 1
- Salt- as per taste
- Ghee- 2tbsp
- Wash the moong and tadka dal together with potatoes. Soak in water for 20-25 minutes. Pour it into a pressure cooker. Add salt and turmeric powder. Now boil for a duration of 3-4 whistles.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee in a frying pan. When the ghee starts steaming, add bay leaf, mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start to splutter, add the onions, ginger and garlic. Mix well and saute for a few seconds on medium flame.
- Now add the carrots, capsicum and green chillies. Saute on a medium flame for 4-6 minutes till the carrots and capsicum becomes tender.
- Open the cooker lid once it cools down. Taste if the salt is less or not. If so, add salt as per taste in the frying pan.
- When the vegetables become tender and look cooked, add tomatoes, red chilli powder and garam masala. Mix well. Saute for 2-3 minutes and then pour the boiled dal in the pan.
- You can add little water if the boiled dal is too thick. Mix well and bring it to boil.
- Boil for around 4-6 minutes on high flame. Sprinkle amchur powder and then put the pan off flame.
Dal with vegetables recipe is ready. Serve it hot with rotis or boiled rice. This Indian side dish can be garnished with lemon slices and chopped coriander leaves.