Kande Pohe is now a raging hit among the youth because it is a popular Marathi song. But apart from its musical connections, Kande Pohe owes its popularity to the eternal diva Madhuri Dixit. Staying in Unites States has not changed Madhuri Dixit's taste for authentic Maharashtrian food. Her favourite breakfast is still a plate full of heavenly Kande Pohe.
Poha is a recipe that is easy to make. Kande (onion) pohe
(flattened rice) is a poha recipe that is made with onions. This
Poha recipe is used in every Maharashtrian household as standard
breakfast or evening snack.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1 tsp
- Curry leaves- 4 to 5
- Green chillies- 2 (chopped)
- Onion- 2 (sliced)
- Potato- 1 (chopped)
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Poha or beaten rice- 2 cups
- Coconut- ½ cup (grated)
- Sugar- ½ tsp
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp (chopped)
- Salt- as per taste
1. Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan. When it crackles. Season it with mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
2. When you smell the spices frying (in half a minute), add green chillies.
3. Now saute the onions in the pan for 5 minutes. After that, add the potatoes.
4. When the onions turn golden brown and the potatoes look crisp, season with turmeric powder.
5. Then pour the poha into the pan; sprinkle salt and sugar. Then cover and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
6. Finally, add the grated coconut and coriander leaves. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes on simmer.
Even if you are not a Madhuri Dixit fan, you can surely enjoy this fabulous dish of Kande Pohe anytime!