Upma is a very famous breakfast recipe that is prepared in many Indian households. You can either have it for your breakfast or carry it for lunch. There are many ways to prepare upma. It is ideally made with suji (granulated Indian wheat).
Here is a little different recipe to make upma with bread and vegetables. Take a look and try this breakfast recipe.
Bread and vegetables upma, breakfast recipe:
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Suji- 1 cup
- Onions- 2 (finely chopped)
- Carrots- 2 (finely chopped)
- Capsicum- 1 (finely chopped)
- Green chillies- 2-4 (finely chopped)
- Green peas- 2tbsp (boiled)
- Tomatoes- 2 (finely chopped)
- Bread slices- 8-10 slices (crumbled into small pieces)
- Mustard seeds- 1tsp
- Chana dal- 1tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Turmeric powder- 1tsp
- Red chilli powder- 1tsp
- Garam masala- ½tsp
- Curry leaves- 6-7 leaves
- Oil- 2tbsp
- Water- 2 cups
- Coriander leaves- 2tsp (finely chopped)
- Heat a pan and roast suji on low flame for about 3-4 minutes or till its colour gets pinkish-brown. Keep it aside and let it cool.
- Now, heat oil in the frying pan. Season it with curry leaves, cumin seeds, chana dal and mustard seeds. Roast for a minute till the chana dal becomes brown.
- Add the onions. Saute for 1 minute and then add capsicum and carrots. Cook on a low flame till the vegetables become tender.
- Now add green chillies and green peas. Sprinkle turmeric powder, salt, garam masala and red chilli powder. Cook for a minute and then add chopped tomatoes. Let the tomatoes become tender.
- Add water when the vegetables look tender. Bring it to boil.
- Pour the roasted suji and bread pieces. Stir continuously so that the suji and bread pieces absorb water. You can also make dry upma by adding less water. Cook till the water is absorbed completely.
Bread upma with vegetables is ready to eat. Serve it hot with coconut chutney or tomato ketchup. You can also take this for lunch. Even kids love this dish. It is filling and healthy too. Made with whole grains, this digest easily. Did you like the recipe?