One of the most famous occasions of North India when all married women keep a fast for their husbands is Karwa Chauth. Women worship Goddess Parvati for the long life and wellness of their husbands, and they break their fasts by seeing the moon.
Now, you definitely need some recipes to be prepared on Karwa Chauth, which are healthy and the one you can have while fasting, right?
Khichdi is a very famous option; and if you have it with Punjabi kadhi, it tastes even better.
Punjabi Kadhi is different from the Gujarati one, as sugar is not used in the former type. Have a look at the ingredients required and in-detail procedure to prepare the Punjabi Kadhi.
Serves - 4
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking Time - 20 minutes
1. Fresh Curd - 1½ cups
2. Gram Flour (Besan) - 2 tbsp
3. Oil - 1 tbsp
4. Cumin Seeds - 1 tbsp
5. Asafetida - a pinch
6. Curry Leaves - 5
7. Garlic (optional) - 2 cloves (chopped)
8. Onion - ¼th cup (sliced) -- ( optional)
9. Water - 1½ cups
10. Turmeric Powder - ¼th tsp
11. Salt to taste
12. Green Chillies - ¼th tsp (finely chopped)
13. Coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Take a big bowl and add curd and besan into it. Whisk these ingredients well and keep it aside.
2. Now, heat a pan and add oil into it. Add cumin seeds. When you see it spluttering, add asafetida, curry leaves and garlic into it.
3. Sauté all the ingredients for 2 minutes and add onions (optional). Stir well and add the curd-besan mixture you had prepared earlier to the pan.
4. Add water immediately. Now, it is time to add salt and turmeric powder. Mix everything well.
6. Season with green chillies and simmer the flame and cook the kadhi for about 10 minutes, so that it gets properly thickened. Take it out into a serving bowl and garnish with some fresh coriander leaves.
7 Your Punjabi kadhi is ready to be served.
You can enjoy it hot with khichdi. It tastes awesome and the nutrients in the ingredients will also keep you healthy.