Though sweet dishes heighten the mood of any festival, you can't ignore salty and crispy snacks to give your taste buds a different touch.
During Navratri, people make and buy several sweetmeats to welcome their guests and relatives.
Be different and instead offer your guests something spicy to give them an immense pleasure. Khandvi is one such Gujarati recipe that can prepare and win the hearts of your dear ones.
So, if you get bored with sweets on Navratri and Durga Puja, prepare khandvi and offer it to your guests.
Today, we are going to share the simple recipe of Khandvi. Have a look.
Serves - 4
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking Time - 20 minutes
1. Gram Flour (Besan) - 1¼ cups
2. Yogurt - 1 cup
3. Ginger-green Chilli Paste - 1½ tsp
4. Asafoetida - a pinch
5. Oil - 2 tbsp (for greasing)
6. Salt as per taste
7. Green Chutney - 4 tbsp
8. Cottage Cheese - ½ cup (grated)
9. Coconut - 5 tbsp (scraped)
10. Coriander Leaves - ½ cup (roughly chopped)
11. Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
1. You will need a big bowl to make the khandvi batter. Take besan and yogurt into the bowl. Mix these two ingredients well.
2. Add water to the batter to make it smooth. Ensure that there are no lumps formed in the batter.
3. Now, it's time to add some more ingredients into it. Add ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric powder and salt, and mix everything well. Also, add asafoetida.
4. Take a flat thali and grease the backside of it with oil. Keep it aside. Then, heat a non-stick pan and pour the batter into it. Stir the mixture continuously and cook it until it gets thicker.
5. When you see the batter becoming thicker, take a portion out of it with a spatula and spread it on the backside of the thali that you greased with oil earlier.
6. Spread it well, so that it becomes thinner. Now, it's time for topping. Spread green chutney all over the khandvi. Sprinkle cottage cheese, coconut and chopped coriander.
7. Now, take a knife and cut the khandvi into pieces. Take a portion from the end and start rolling the khandvis. Cut in between and make small khandvis. Your khandvis are now ready. Prepare them on a platter.
For tampering, heat oil in a small ladle. Add some mustard seeds.Then, pour the tampering on the khandvis and sprinkle some coriander from top and your khandvis are ready to be served.