If you want to master the art of making roties then these tricks might be useful to you.
How To Make Perfect Roties?
1. Firstly the ingredients to knead the dough for roties are coarse flour (atta), pinch of salt, oil or ghee and water to mix it.
2. For 2 portions of flour you need about one portion of water to get the consistency of the dough right. The oil is a nice way to soften up the roties in this flat bread recipe but actually it is an optional ingredient. Don't use it if you want low fat roties.
3. To knead the dough is the most difficult part of this business of making roties. If the dough is not right all the skill you use to roll out the roties will be wasted. The right consistency of the dough for Indian bread is like molded clay. If you poke it it should leave a smooth depression without cracking.
4. The oil or ghee (clarified butter) in the dough makes the roties soft but too much of it will break it up while rolling the breads. So add just 1 teaspoon to 2 cups of flour and increase or decrease accordingly.
5. After your dough is ready make a long cylindrical snake like formation out of it. Now tear handfuls from this flour snake and mold them into round balls. You make all the balls (that will turn into flat breads) at once.
6. Now flatten them with your palm on the rolling surface. Dust some flour on it so that it does not get stuck to the surface while rolling. Roll the roties into rounds.
7. First, roll it in one direction (vertically) and then, turn it around (horizontally) to adjust the shape into a perfect circle. Do not apply too much pressure or else the flat bread will tear.
8. Heat a flat pan (tawa) on the flame and slap the rolled roti on it. When you see bubbles on it turn it around with a help of tweezers.
9. When both sides have been toasted on the dry pan you need to toast the roti directly on the flame. Most people use a wire strung pan for it so that the roti doesn't burn. The trick is to keep it just for a few seconds and pick it up.
Use the cooking tips to make roties and always serve them hot.