Broken wheat or samba rava is obtained by crushing the whole wheat grains into smaller pieces. Many varieties of dishes are prepared using broken wheat. So, for all you health conscious people out there, we've this this nutritious broken wheat kheer recipe that you can prepare this Navratri.
Instead of preparing kheer with semiya or rice, this Navratri, you can cook the delicious broken wheat or samba rava payasam recipe, which is very healthy and is also one of the best recipes to be had during the Navratri vrat.
So, take a look at how to prepare the samba rava or broken wheat kheer recipe.
Serves - 4
Cooking time - 25 minutes
Preparation time - 15 minutes
- Milk - 500 mL
- Samba Rava (Broken Wheat) - 200 g
- Ghee - 2 teaspoons
- Sugar - 1 Cup
- Cashew nuts - 8 to 10
- Raisins - 8 to 10
- Cardamom Powder - 1/4th teaspoon
1. Boil the milk till it reduces to half.
2. In a pan, add ghee, cashew nuts & sauté it till it turns light golden brown in colour. Then, add the raisins & sauté it till it turns fluffy.
3. In the same pan, add samba rava (broken wheat) and keep stirring it in a low flame for about 5 minutes, until it gets a nice aroma.
4. Now, gently add the reduced milk to the cooked samba rava (broken wheat). Keep stirring it continuously, so as to make sure that no lumps are formed.
5. Add cardamom powder, sugar, fried cashew nuts, raisins & cook it for 2 minutes.
6. Serve the Samba Rava (Broken Wheat) Payasam either hot or chilled.