Patishapta is one of the famous Bengali sweets that is prepared during pujas. The yummy taste of this popular Bengali sweet is famous worldwide. The best part in this Indian sweets recipe is that, it can be easily made with just a few simple ingredients from the kitchen. Traditionally Govind Bhog rice is used for preparing this sweet recipe. If you do not have it then you can use any other rice for making this highly popular Bengali sweet.
In a patishapta we make a coconut filling inside the rice flour roll. The coconut filling can be made with jaggery, sugar or kheer. Patishapta is one of the Bengali sweets that can also be called as coconut rolls. Here is an easy recipe for making patishapta. Try this Bengali sweets recipe at home and delight the taste buds of all with this amazing recipe.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Rice- 3 cups
- Jaggery- 2 cups
- Coconut Powder- 2-3 cups
- Cardamom Powder- 3tsp
- Oil/ Ghee- ½ cup
- Soak the rice in a medium sized bowl overnight with some water and ¾th cup of jaggery. Grind it into a fine paste the next day by adding a little water. Keep aside. Remember that the consistency must be on the thicker side.
- Take a deep bottomed frying pan and add the jaggery along with a cup full of water. Let the jaggery melt. Keep on low heat and when it becomes a bit thick, add the coconut and cardamom powder. Stir well until it forms a uniform mixture and then take off the pan from the gas oven. Let it cool.
- Now keep a flat surfaced frying pan over the gas oven and smear it with a little oil or ghee. Add ½ cup of the rice mixture on the pan and spread it. Keep on a low flame.
- As soon as you see it becoming hard place about a tablespoon of the coconut mixture all through the middle of it. Wrap it up now from the sides using a spatula.
- Repeat this for the entire mixture and then keep the patishaptas aside.
You can have the patishaptas at any time or simply after the meal. This is an ideal Bengali sweet recipe that can be served to celebrate any religious or cultural occasion.