We all have heard about "Puran poli", which is quite famous and is savoured in the various parts of India. Poli is a traditional sweet dish that is prepared in different states of India like Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Goa and Gujarat.
Sakkaravalli is a bit unfamiliar name, which may have been heard only by a few people. Sakkaravalli is nothing but Puran poli made with sweet potatoes and is the best sweet you can prepare for Shivratri .
This scrumptious recipe comes straight from the land of Gujarat. Sakkaravalli is specially prepared on festive occasions specially for Shivratri.
Sakkaravalli is a tasty, healthy and filling snack for kids. Instead of using maida, you can also use the whole wheat to prepare Sakkaravalli to make it much more healthier.
Thus, whether it a festive occasion or your kids want something new in their tiffin, you can always bank on these yummy Sakkaravallis to satisfy everyone.
The recipe of Sakkaravalli is very easy. All the ingredients are easily available and it is loved by all. Following are some simple steps to prepare Sakkaravalli for Shivratri, have a look:
Serves - 3
Preparation time - 1 hour
Cooking time - 20 minutes
For the stuffing, you will need the following things:
1 cup of jaggery
1 teaspoon of cardamom powder
5 sweet potatoes
A pinch of salt
To make the outer layer of poli, you will need the following
1 tablespoon of oil
1 cup maida (refined flour)
Water to knead the dough
1. Mix the rice flour, flour, ghee, salt and rava and knead it with the help of sufficient water, so that you get soft dough.
2. Cover this dough for about one hour.
3. Boil the sweet potatoes in a pressure cooker till they become soft. Do not overboil them otherwise there would be fibre strands that aren't good for your poli.
4. Take out the boiled sweet potatoes and peel them.
5. Now cut them into a few pieces and mash them properly.
6. Take some water and boil some jaggery in it, filter all the impurities. Now, mix the mashed sweet potatoes with this jaggery-water mixture and cook for another 5-10 minutes till the whole mixture blends properly. Keep it to one side and let it cool down.
7. Add cardamom to the sweet potato and jaggery mixture and mix it in a good way.
8. Now, take the maida dough and make a few balls with it. Take a plastic sheet and grease it with a little ghee ad place the maida balls one by one. Make round-shaped polis by tapping with your fingers.
9. Take about twice the amount of the sweet potato and jaggery mixture and put it at the centre of the maida dough.
10. Now close the sides of the dough to lock the sweet potato mixture inside it. Then flatten the maida dough ball into small discs with the help of your fingers. Use ghee if needed.
11. Now roll these discs into small-sized puran polis. Take a tawa, put it on heat and roast the puran polis on either side till they become golden brown in colour.
Serve these Sakkaravallis hot along with some ghee!
To make these Sakkaravallis even healthier, you can use half wheat flour and half maida. Instead of jaggery, you can also use sugar.
You can also add some grated coconut in the sweet potato and jaggery stuffing to make the Sakkaravalli even tastier.