Krishna Janmashtami is celebrated across various states in India and it marks the birth anniversary of Lord Krishna, who is considered as one of the incarnations of Lord Vishnu. Lord Krishna is the most loved deity in Hinduism. Various recipes are prepared on the occasion of Krishna Janmashtami.
This year, Krishna Janmashtami marks the 5243th birth anniversary of Lord Krishna, who is dearly loved by most Hindu devotees.
Some devotees observe this day by fasting for the whole day and they break their fast on the next day. Few other devotees prepare recipes that Lord Krishna was mostly fond of to spread the joy of the festivity even more.
So, if you are wondering of the recipes you can prepare for Janmashtami, here is a Khoya (mawa) peda recipe that Lord Krishna was highly fond of.
Have a look at the simple khoya peda recipe to offer and please Lord Krishna on the occasion of Krishna Janmashtami.
Serves - 7
Cooking time - 60 min (depending on the time it takes to thicken)
Preparation time - 15 min
- Khoya (Mawa) - 1 cup (fresh, grated)
- Milk - 3 tbsp
- Saffron - 6 to 7 strands
- Ghee - One and a half tbsp
- Sugar - 1/4th cup (depending on the sweetness you want)
- Cardamom powder - ¼th tsp
- Pistachios - 7 to 8
- Milk powder - 2 tbsp (optional)
- Take some fresh khoya and grate it well.
- Then, add saffron strands to the warm milk and set it aside.
- Heat ghee in a wide shallow non-stick pan.
- Once the ghee turns hot, add the crumbled khoya (mawa) and saute the mixture for 10-15 minutes on low flame, stirring it continuously.
- Add in the saffron milk and sugar. It will get liquefied (Optional: You can add 2 tbsp of milk powder).
- Then, keep stirring the mixture on low flame.
- Add cardamom powder and mix everything well.
- Wait until the khoya (mawa) thickens and leaves the sides of the pan. It should form a large lumpy mixture.
- Turn off the flame and allow the mixture to cool at room temperature.
- Then, grease the hands and make small balls with the thickened mixture.
- Place a pistachio at the centre and serve it.
Prepare this delicious khoya (mawa) peda recipe for the occasion of Krishna Janmashtami and give us your feedback.