Gujiya is not something that you can make only as a Holi recipe; it quite a common Indian dessert recipe actually. But this special dish for Holi will bring with it all the colours that are due to Holi. Yes, we will make our Gujiya for Holi colourful. As you probably know, this is a deep fried dessert, so do not expect it to be low calorie. However, this Holi recipe can made healthy if you use kesar (saffron) and pistas to colour your sweet dish instead of harmful artificial colours.
To make this Indian dessert recipe interesting you can add lots of dry fruits to it's filling. The effort involved in the making of the dish will remain the same even if the recipe for Holi is specially modified. By standards of festival recipes that are usually elaborate, this dish takes less time. Just about half an hour should be enough to prepare for and cook it.
Ingredients For Gujiya:
1. Maida or all purpose flour 1 cup
2. Ghee or clarified butter half cup
3. Sugar 2 tablespoons
4. Coconut (grated) 1 cup
5. Almonds (sliced) 1 tablespoon
6. Raisins or kishmish 1 tablespoon
7. Pistachios (chopped) 1 tablespoon
8. Cashew (sliced) 1 tablespoon
9. Chironji or charoli 1 teaspoon
10. Cardamom powder 1 teaspoon
11. Kesar or saffron 1 pinch (for colouring)
12. Oil for deep frying (half of the pan)
Procedure For Gujiya:
- Pour the ghee over the maida and add half a cup of water to it. Knead a fluffy dough out of this to make the outer covering of your sweets.
- If you want to add colour to your dish then grind a few strands of kesar add add it to the dough for red colour. For green you can try fine powdered pista.
- Mix all the other ingredients except oil in a mixing bowl so that the consistency becomes even.
- Now roll out 5-8 flat breads (puris) from the dough and add spoonfuls of the filling to it. Roll it into halves and seal the edges of the puri with your fingers.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan and when it is piping hot release the gujiyas in it. It will float up while frying on medium flame and when it is golden brown strain it.
Serve colourful and delicious Gujiyas to celebrate Holi in the true spirit.