You can try this Rakhi recipe at half an hour's notice. So, if you did not have this delicious Indian sweet dish on your menu, do not worry; it is still not too late. Most dessert recipes that are traditional use a lot of khoa and ghee. But for bread barfi, you will be using breadcrumbs. If your brother is health conscious then you can use crumbs of brown bread to make this a healthier dessert.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Breadcrumbs- 2 cups
- Milk- 1 cup
- Jaggery (gur)- 100 grams (around one cup)
- Coconut- 1/2 cup (grated)
- Ghee- 1tbsp
- Rose water- few drops
- Cashew nuts- 10
- Soak the breadcrumbs in milk for about ten minutes. Do not keep it too long or else it will wilt completely. The crunchy texture of the crumbs is something that you look forward to in this sweet dish.
- Meanwhile, melt the jaggery in a deep bottomed pan. Do this on low flame for 5 to 7 minutes. Add a little water if necessary.
- Never put jaggery on high flame because it gets sticky and burns from the base.
- When the jaggery melts into a smooth and thick solution, add grated coconut to it. Keep stirring it on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Them pour the soaked breadcrumbs along with the remaining milk into the pan. Add ghee and keep stirring it continuously.
- Do this for the next 5-7 minutes until the ghee starts dripping out of the mixture.
- Add a few drops of rose water and the cashew nuts to it.
- Remove it from the flame and spread it out on tray. When it cools to room temperature, you can cut it into rectangular pieces.
Decorate the Bread Barfi with strands of saffron and have a very sweet Raksha Bandhan!