This Yule log is a simple Christmas recipe to make at home using only a few ingredients. It is made by rolling up chocolate sponge cake with a filling of chocolate Ganache and Bing Cherries.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Baking Time: 40 minutes
- Egg yolks- 5
- Egg whites- 3
- Sugar- 80 grams
- Flour- 40 grams
- Cocoa powder- 15 grams
- Rum- 2tbsp
- Take a 30cm cake pan/baking sheet with baking paper on it and grease with butter/oil.
- Sieve the flour and the cocoa powder together and keep aside for few minutes.
- Beat the egg whites with the sugar till stiff. Now add egg yolks one by one slowly (if using an electric beater).
- Add this to the flour and cocoa butter mixture.
- Spread this batter evenly on the cake sheet and bake at 200 degrees till cooked.
- Once done check by inserting a toothpick, if it comes out clean its ready to be removed. Let it cool.
- Now, prepare the syrup by adding equal amounts of sugar and water. Let it cool and then add rum according to your desired taste.
- Chop up the chocolate and butter in a separate bowl. Heat it to around 75-80 degrees on the stove.
- Then pour one third of this hot cream over the chocolate.
- Stir continuously, letting the chocolate warm up and melt. Then divide the remaining cream in two parts.
- Stir gently between each addition. After that, mix well with a spatula till you get a smooth shiny Ganache, being careful not to mix in air bubbles.
To assemble the dessert:
- Place a sheet of butter paper on a table.
- Place the sponge sheet on top of this, and then with moderate force, use a rolling pin to flatten the sponge so that it is not too thick and even in thickness. Soak this with syrup, which you made earlier.
- Spread half of the Ganache on top of this, and then sprinkle with Bing cherries.
- Start rolling up from the end way from you, using the butter paper to tighten the turns. This is easy to do once you try.
- Once this is done, refrigerate the cake for a day and for the flavours to mellow and intensify.
Once this is done, place on a serving platter, and decorate with candy, jujubes, and marshmallows and Christmas motifs.