This time of the season definitely calls for a bowl of freshly made soup. Some vegetables like onions are always found in plenty in all seasons. So lets prepare a soup in which onion is the prime ingredient. French Onion soup is our choice this time. It it very popular all over the globe for its succulent and delicate flavour.
The main flavour of French onion soup comes from caramelised onions. The onions are sweated to bring out the liquid. Onions are caramelised to the extent at which sugar attains its burning temperature. In a typical French onion soup recipe the onions should melt down to almost half the volume while caramelising.
Here is the French onion soup recipe for you.
Ingredients For Making French Onion Soup: (Serves 4)
- Onions- 8 (medium sized)
- Butter- 5-6tbsp
- Cheese- 1½ cup (finely grated)
- Bread- 4 slices
- Sugar- 1½tbsp
- Salt- To taste
- Pepper- 1-2tsp
Procedure For Making French Onion Soup:
- Peel the onions and carrots and keep them aside.
- Chop 4 onions and 2 carrots finely and keep them in a bowl.
- Now take a deep frying pan and add 10 cups of water into it.
- Keep the frying pan on a medium flame over the oven and add the chopped onions, carrots, 1tbsp butter, ½tbsp sugar and salt according to taste into it.
- Let it boil until the onions and carrots in it get reduced to half of its original volume.
- Remove the pan from the oven.
- Now drain the vegetable stock and keep it aside.
- Finely slice the remaining 4 onions.
- Take another pan and keep it on a low flame.
- Put remaining butter into the pan and saute the remaining 4 finely chopped onions into it for about 15-20 minutes.
- Add 1tbsp of sugar in the pan for the caramelisation process and saute it for another 15 minutes until brown and keep it aside.
- Now boil the caramelised onions in the vegetable stock for about 10 minutes and turn off the oven.
- Roast the bread pieces and remove the side portions.
- Serve the soup in 4 bowls with a bread piece on top of each.
- Finish off your garnishing by adding the grated cheese and some pepper on top of each bowl.
- Your French Onion Soup is now ready to be served.
Lure the taste buds of your dear ones this season by treating them with French onion soup.