Aam panna is a special drink that is made using raw green mangoes. The mangoes are first boiled and then the pulp is mixed with water, sugar and spices. The sweet and tangy drink is very effective to cure dehydration, fight inflammation and reduce body heat.
It is ideally a summer drink to refresh and boost up body energy. However, as Navratri is going on and you can get raw green mangoes throughout the year, prepare this soothing and chilled tangy drink to stay active and full while fasting. Take a look at the special Navratri fasting recipe.
Aam panna, Navratri recipe:
Serves: 5-6 glasses
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Green Mango- 6 medium sized
- Water- ¾ cup
- Cumin Seed (Jeera)- 1 tsp (dry-roasted and grounded)
- Red chilli Powder- 1/2 tsp
- Rock salt- 1 tsp
- Sugar- 3 tbsp
- Mint Leaves 3 tbsp (chopped)
- Ice-cubes- 12 (crushed)
- Place the mangoes with water in a sauce pan. Cover with a lid and bring to boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes till the mangoes boil.
- Drain off the water. Let it cool. Now peel the mangoes. Remove the stone and take out the pulp with a spoon.
- Place the pulp in a deep bowl.
- Add water, sugar, rock salt, chilli and cumin powder.
- Whisk thoroughly.
- Stir in the mint and whisk again.
- Transfer it into a jug.
Serve the aam panna chilled with crushed ice.
About the author: This recipe is written by our expert chef, Kailash Gundupalli. He is an Executive Chef of ibis & Novotel hotels.