We Indians are famous for adding our own desi touch to all dishes. We already have our own Indian version of Chinese food. So how can be leave the French dishes alone. French toast has been picked from posh looking French menus and converted into an Indian breakfast recipe. Egg breakfast recipes are much in demand because they are quick and easy to make.
The subtle flavour of the original French toast recipe would never suit the Indian palate. So the desi twang to this Indian breakfast recipe are the spices used in it. You can add interesting spices like red chilli powder, coriander powder and chaat masala to make the French toast taste Indian. The main trick for making French toast is adding milk to the batter that has been retained even in the Indian breakfast recipe.
You can add your choice of vegetables to make this egg breakfast recipe more wholesome.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- Eggs- 4 (beaten)
- Milk- 2tbsp
- Baby onions- 2 (chopped)
- Green chillies- 2 (chopped)
- Tomato- 1 (chopped)
- Green bell pepper or capsicum- 1 (chopped)
- Coriander leaves- 1 sprig (chopped)
- Red chilli powder- 1tsp
- Coriander powder- 1tsp
- Chaat masala- ½tsp
- Rava or Semolina- 1tbsp
- Bread- 6 slices
- Salt- as per taste
- Butter- 1tbsp
1. Break the eggs in a big mixing bowl. Add milk to it and beat the mixture properly.
2. When the mixture becomes frothy, add the powdered spices like red chilli powder, coriander powder, chaat masala and salt to this mixture.
3. Beat for at least 2-3 minutes because the spices tend to form clumps.
4. Now add all the chopped spices and vegetables namely green chillies, onions, tomatoes and capsicum to the egg mixture.
5. Heat the pan on a medium flame and melt some butter on it.
6. Soak the bread slices in the egg mixture and then roll them in rava.
7. Place the bread slices in the pan. Pour some of the mixture along with the solid ingredients on the bread.
8. Fry both sides of the bread in the similar way.
Serve the Indian style French toast hot with tomato ketchup and mint chutney.