Bondas are pakoras that are fried and served as an evening snack. It is a popular name in the southern states especially Karnataka. Bondas are made with many vegetables like potatoes (aloo), onions (pyaaz), eggplant (baingan) and chilli (mirchi) to name a few.
Aloo bonda is a very simple and classic pakora recipe that is famous Indian fried snack. You can team this yummy snack with tea/coffee or have it with tomato ketchup. In this festive season, you should try to prepare this snack and serve your guests at home. They will be delighted to have the yummy and all time favourite evening tea snack. Check out the recipe to prepare aloo bonda (pakora).
Aloo bonda recipe:
Serves: 15-20 bondas
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Boiled potatoes (aloo)- 2 (mashed)
- Green chillies- 1-2
- Gram flour (besan)- 1cup
- Red chili powder- 1tsp
- Garam Masala powder- ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Coriander leaves- 1tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Add salt, chili powder, garam masala, coriander, and green chillies to the mashed aloo and mix well.
- In a bowl take a cup of gram flour. Add turmeric powder, little salt and chilli powder to it. Add little water bit by bit and make a batter (neither too thick nor too loose).
- Make small balls of aloo mixture with your palms.
- Dip each ball in the batter and deep fry them till they turn golden brown in colour and looks crisp.
Aloo bondas are ready to eat. Serve them hot with chutney or tomato ketchup. You can also cut the bondas into two halves and then add chopped onions. Sprinkle lemon juice and serve it.
About the author: This recipe is written by our expert chef, Kailash Gundupalli. He is an Executive Chef of ibis & Novotel hotels.