Pathuri maach is a special Bengali dish that is made with fish. The dish is steamed and wrapped in banana leaf. The best aroma of pathuri maach comes from the mustard sauce that is used to prepare this recipe. When you unwrap the fish from the banana leaf, you will get the strong aroma of mustard.
The soft and delicious pathuri maach can be served as a snack or teamed up with steamed rice as a side dish. As Durga Puja is around the corner, you should be prepared to serve some special Bengali dishes to your guests at home. Pathuri maach is the perfect dish that you can try this Puja. This recipe takes out the sweet taste of the fish and fills it with the flavour of mustard sauce. You have to marinate the fish in mustard sauce and then wrap in banana leaf. Check out the full recipe.
Pathuri maach, special Bengali dish:
Serves: 8-10 pieces
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Hilsa fish- 4 large pieces (around 400 gms)
- Dark mustard seeds- 2tsp (soaked in warm water)
- Light mustard seeds- 1tsp (soaked in warm water)
- Coconut- ½ cup (cut into peices)
- Green chillies- 4-5 (chopped)
- Turmeric powder- 1tsp
- Sugar- 1tsp
- Lime juice- 1tsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Mustard oil- 1tbsp
- Banana leaves- for wrapping
- Wash and clean the fish. Cut in 8-10 pieces of 1 inch each.
- Blend coconut, mustard seeds, salt, green chillies into a fine paste. Add little water to make the paste.
- Now add sugar, lime juice and turmeric powder in the blended paste and blend again. Prepare a smooth marinade.
- Pour the paste in a bowl and then add the fish pieces. Mix them with the paste and marinade for 30 minutes in room temperature. You can also marinade in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile wash the banana leaves and cut them into 8-10 square shape pieces.
- Once the fish is marinated, pour mustard oil and mix well with your fingers.
- Place the banana leaf in a plate and grease with mustard oil. Now put a marinated fish piece and top with little marinade. Fold the banana leaf from all the sides into a square parcel. Wrap it with a thread so that it doesn't open.
- Repeat with other fish pieces.
- Heat water in a steamer. Place the banana wrapped fish parcels in the steaming rack. Steam for 10 minutes.
- Once steamed, take out the banana leaf parcels and then remove the thread.
Pathuri maach is ready to eat. Serve it hot with rice.