Poyela Boishakh or Bengali New Year is the first day of the Bengali calender. On this day, people worship their deities and greet each other. Fish or maach (in Bengali) is the staple food in Bengal. So, how can we celebrate a festival without including fish in the menu? Have you tried yoghurt fish (doi maach). Check out an easy Indian recipe to make authentic fish with yogurt.
Fish with yogurt (doi maach) recipe:
500 gms white fish
2 cups yogurt, blended into a fine paste
½ cup all purpose flour
1½ tbsp ginger garlic and onion paste
1 tomato, finely chopped
3-5 green chillies
red chilli powder
1 tbsp oil
water (if required)
Directions to prepare doi maach:
1. Clean and cut the fish pieces into medium cube size pieces. Coat them with dry flour.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Now fry these coated fish pieces until brown. Keep them aside.
3. Heat ½tsp oil in a skillet and fry cinnamon and cardamom. Add ginger, garlic, onion paste, red chilli, turmeric, coriander and cumin powder to it. Mix well.
4. Now, add tomatoes and cook for about 2 minutes. Mix all the ingredients well to make a paste. You can add little water to increase the quantity. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add yogurt and stir well. Cook till oil is separated and add fish pieces to the paste. Cook for 10-15 minutes on medium flame.
Fish yogurt or doi maach is ready to eat! Serve with hot steamed rice.