People who are not fish eaters are usually scared to try fish curry. We fear that the strong smell of fish will not be very appetizing. So if you are just turning to eat fish for the first time, then fish tandoori masala is a recipe that is safe to try. The main ingredient of this dish is tandoori masala powder. Thus fish tandoori masala does not have a stench of fish.
Fish tandoori masala is actually a Punjabi recipe. Traditionally, the fish is first marinated with tandoori masala and then cooked in the tandoor. But few people have a tandoor in their modern homes. So you can grill the fish on an open barbecue or grill it in the microwave. Fish tandoori masala is a curry cooked with grilled fish. This fish curry is usually thick and can be made spicy depending upon your taste.
Preparation Time: 3- minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Fish fillets- 8 (pomfret, bhetki or any other boneless fish)
- Tandoori masala- 3tbps
- Curd- 100 grams
- Green chillies- 5
- Onion- 1 (sliced)
- Garlic ginger paste- 1tbsp
- Red chilli powder- 1tsp
- Lemon juice- 1tbsp
- Coriander powder- 1tsp
- Coriander leaves- 2 sprigs (chopped)
- Oil- 2tbsp
- Salt-as per taste
- Make a paste of 3 green chillies and coriander leaves.
- Now mix it with 2tbsp of curd. Add 2tbsp of tandoori masala powder and salt to the curd, and whisk the curd to mix it up.
- Marinate the fish fillets with this tandoori mixture and leave it aside for 30 minutes. You can squeeze some lemon on the marinated fish if you want.
- Grease a baking dish with oil and place the fish on the dish. Layer it with some of the marinade.
- Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees and grill the fish for 20-25 minutes on 60 per cent power.
- Keep changing sides and brush the fish with oil for uniform cooking.
- Now take a deep bottomed pan and heat oil in it. Season it with 2 slit green chillies
- Then saute the onions in this pan for 4-5 minutes on a low flame. Add ginger garlic paste and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Now add 1tbsp tandoori powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder to the pan. Fry for 2 minutes on a low flame.
- Add the remaining curd to the pan along with some salt for seasoning and mix it up well.
- After cooking for 5 minutes on low flame, add the grilled fish to the curry. Cook for more 2 minutes.
Garnish the tandoori fish masala with chopped coriander leaves and serve with rice or pulao.