As the name suggests, Raan is a recipe from across the border. Raan, a famous dish in North eastern parts of the Indian continent is basically the leg of a lamb that is cooked in the tandoor. This Indian mutton recipe is very popular in the northern states of Punjab and Kashmir. Cooking the leg of lamb, usually a huge one, in generous portions of butter or ghee is the original and delicious Raan recipe.
The most important thing about a Raan is that the meat should
melt in your mouth. You need a special cut of the lamb's leg for
cooking this delicacy. It is usually a large cut of the lamb's leg
including the thigh and is called the Raan cut.
Ingredients For Ran Recipe:
- Leg of lamb 300grams to 500 grams
- Ginger garlic paste 4 tbsp
- Lemon juice 2 tbsp
- Vinegar 1 tbsp
- Red chilli powder 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder 1pinch
- Cloves 5
- Cinnamon stick 1 inch
- Cardamom 4
- Pepper corns 10
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Curd 2 tbsp
- Fenugreek leaves 1 tbsp
- Onion 1 (sliced)
- Ghee (clarified butter) or butter 3 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
Procedure For Making Raan:
1. Use a carving knife to make deep but small incisions on the lamb leg. This has to be done so that it absorbs all the spices properly.
2. Pour the lemon juice and vinegar on the lamb leg and season with salt.
3. Pat ginger garlic paste on the lamb leg and into the cuts. Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
4. Blend cumin seeds, pepper corns, cloves, cinnamon stick, turmeric powder and red chilli powder with water and make a thick paste.
5. Mix this paste with curd and marinate the lamb leg with it. Refrigerate this for at least 2 hours.
6. Add 2 tbsp of butter or ghee to a greased baking dish. Keep the lamb leg on it.
7. Cook it uncovered in a oven preheated to 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Turn it around and cook for another 20 minutes in the microwave grill.
8. Meanwhile melt butter or ghee in a shallow pan. Season with fenugreek leaves and then saute the onions in it.
9. Pour the onions and the extra butter/ghee on the roasted lamb leg. Cover it and cook it at 350 degrees for another 30 minutes.
10. Leave it to set for at least 45 minutes.
Serve Raan with onion rings, slices of lemon, green chillies and rumali rotis.