Being a hilly area, the spices in most Coorgi recipes are fresh and play a vital role. Yarchi Nad Kanne too makes it spiced with fresh pepper. An innovative twist is added to this Indian recipe for mutton curry. Yarchi Nad Kanne is cooked like a broth of bones instead of a meat curry.
Ingredients For Mutton Bone Curry:
Mutton bones with little meat (ribs and leg pieces) 300 grams
Onion 1 (chopped)
Garlic cloves 7-8
Tomatoes 2 (chopped)
Freshly ground pepper 2 tbsp
Cumin powder 1 tbsp
Cinnamon sticks 1 inch
Cardamom seeds 10
Mint leaves (optional) 3-4
Oil 2 tbsp
Salt as per taste
Procedure For Mutton Bone Curry:
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. When it sizzles, add cinnamon stick, cardamom seeds and onions.
- Saute the onions till it turns golden. Add the garlic and stir it for a minute or two.
- Add the mutton bones to the cooker. Reduce the flame and let them fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes in the end. Sprinkle salt on it and let it cook in its own juices for 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle all powdered spices, namely, pepper and cumin powder here. Fry it for 2 minutes before adding 4 cups of water.
- You can add a few twigs of mint to the watery curry before fixing the lid.
- Cook the broth for at least 5- 6 whistles. The bones need to melt in your mouth and the marrow needs to seep into the broth.
Serve this mutton curry with melted bones as a side dish for steamed rice with special Coorgi meat pulav.