Kofta curry is recipe a that is authentically north Indian coming straight from the hearts of meat lovers. This mutton curry recipe is prepared with mutton kheema. The specialty of this khemma kofta recipe is that it is not meant to be overtly spicy. The blend of spices is supposed to be so perfect that you cannot taste any single flavor separately. All the flavors combine beautifully to create one single taste in this mutton kheema recipe unlike other Indian dishes that have a dominating flavor and several under tastes.
The problem is that people conceive this Indian mutton recipe to be a very complicated and time consuming one. It is a misconception because it can actually made quite simply as long as you know the right technique. It is not too time consuming either with a maximum preparation time of about half an hour. The curry ingredients are very basic and you will have them all in a normal Indian kitchen. All you have to do is buy some finely minced mutton kheema and get started.
Ingredients for Kofta Curry Recipe:
1. Mutton kheema 500 grams (very finely minced)
2. Onions 3 (chopped finely)
3. Garlic 6 cloves
4. Ginger 1 large piece (finely sliced)
5. Green chillies (finely chopped)
6. Tomatoes 2 (chopped finely)
7. Besan or Bengal Gram Flour
8. Red chilli powder 1 tablespoon
9. Cumin Powder 2 tablespoons
10. Coriander powder 1 tablespoon
11. Bay leaf 1
12. Peppercorns 6
13. Cardamom 6
14. Cinnamon sticks 3
15. Cloves 6
16. Star Anise 2
17. Oil 4 tablespoons
18. Salt to taste
Procedure for Kofta Curry Recipe:
- Take the kheema in a mixing bowl and add chopped green chillies, salt, some of the chopped ginger and onions. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and when the oil crinkles add the garam masala ingredients (pepper, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and star anise).
- Add the bay leaf too and saute the remaining chopped onions (which should about 2/3rd of all) until they are deep golden brown.
- Add the ginger and garlic (chopped finely) after this and cook for 3 minutes.
- Now pour the tomatoes and sprinkle salt. Let it cook for about 5-7 minutes on low flame while you go back to the koftas.
- Add besan to the khemma and mix well.
- Now heat oil to a very high temperature in a deep pan.
- Make small balls out of the kheema mixture and fry them until they are crisp. Don't make the balls large or else the core will not cook.
- Now go back to the curry; add red chilli powder, cumin and coriander powder. Stir well for about 2 minutes.
- Add the kheema koftas to the curry and stir for about a minute.
- Pour 2 cups of water; cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- You can garnish it with coriander leaves.
Your Kofta Curry recipe has produced delicious a mutton dish in just half an hour. Enjoy it with hot rotis or steamed rice.