The problem is that people conceive this Indian mutton recipe to be a very complicated and time consuming one. It is a misconception because it can actually made quite simply as long as you know the right technique. It is not too time consuming either with a maximum preparation time of about half an hour. The curry ingredients are very basic and you will have them all in a normal Indian kitchen. All you have to do is buy some finely minced mutton kheema and get started.
Ingredients for Kofta Curry Recipe:
1. Mutton kheema 500 grams (very finely minced)
2. Onions 3 (chopped finely)
3. Garlic 6 cloves
4. Ginger 1 large piece (finely sliced)
5. Green chillies (finely chopped)
6. Tomatoes 2 (chopped finely)
7. Besan or Bengal Gram Flour
8. Red chilli powder 1 tablespoon
9. Cumin Powder 2 tablespoons
10. Coriander powder 1 tablespoon
11. Bay leaf 1
12. Peppercorns 6
13. Cardamom 6
14. Cinnamon sticks 3
15. Cloves 6
16. Star Anise 2
17. Oil 4 tablespoons
18. Salt to taste
Procedure for Kofta Curry Recipe:
- Take the kheema in a mixing bowl and add chopped green chillies, salt, some of the chopped ginger and onions. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and when the oil crinkles add the garam masala ingredients (pepper, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and star anise).
- Add the bay leaf too and saute the remaining chopped onions (which should about 2/3rd of all) until they are deep golden brown.
- Add the ginger and garlic (chopped finely) after this and cook for 3 minutes.
- Now pour the tomatoes and sprinkle salt. Let it cook for about 5-7 minutes on low flame while you go back to the koftas.
- Add besan to the khemma and mix well.
- Now heat oil to a very high temperature in a deep pan.
- Make small balls out of the kheema mixture and fry them until they are crisp. Don't make the balls large or else the core will not cook.
- Now go back to the curry; add red chilli powder, cumin and coriander powder. Stir well for about 2 minutes.
- Add the kheema koftas to the curry and stir for about a minute.
- Pour 2 cups of water; cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- You can garnish it with coriander leaves.
Your Kofta Curry recipe has produced delicious a mutton dish in just half an hour. Enjoy it with hot rotis or steamed rice.