Both egg and kheema (mutton, beef or chicken) are favourites in a family of non vegetarians. So, why not combine them into one brilliant kheema recipe? Egg kheema curry is a culmination of two popular recipes, kheema mutter recipe and scrambled eggs. When you cook it together, you get an amazing Ramzan recipe to feast on in this holy month of fasting.
To make egg kheema you need all the normal spices used in an Indian curry. Garam masala has a huge role to play in this kheema recipe. You need this particular spice in both whole and powdered forms to prepare this Ramzan recipe. Egg kheema is otherwise an uncomplicated recipe cooked with more or else, simple spices.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- Eggs- 4 (hard boiled and peeled)
- Bay leaf- 1
- Peppercorns- 5-7
- Cardamom pods- 2-3
- Cinnamon sticks- 1 inch
- Star anise- 1
- Onions- 2 (chopped)
- Garlic pods- 5 (minced)
- Ginger- 1 inch (finely chopped)
- Green chillies- 4 (slit)
- Mutton kheema- 750 grams
- Tomatoes- 2 (chopped)
- Peas- 1 cup
- Red chilli powder- 1tbsp
- Cumin powder- 1tbsp
- Garam masala powder- 2tsp
- Ghee- 1tbsp
- Oil- 3tbsp
- Salt- as per taste
1. Chop the boiled eggs into small pieces (roughly the size of cherries).
2. Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a pan and saute one handful of chopped onions in it.
3. Add the chopped eggs and fry till they get a brown crust. Strain it from oil and keep aside.
4. Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan. Season it with bay leaf, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and star anise.
5. Let the flavours run into the oil for half a minute and then add the onions. Saute them till they are golden and then add the garlic and ginger.
6. Cook for another 2 minutes on low flame. Add the chillies followed by the kheema.
7. Stir it well to mix with the spices. Cook on low flame for 5-6 minutes until the water from the meat oozes out.
8. Add tomatoes, peas and sprinkle salt from the top. Add all the powdered spices, namely; red chilli, cumin and garam masala powder.
9. Let the meat cook in its own juices for 7-9 minutes on low flame. If it gets very dry, add a cup of water.
10. When the kheema is almost down, add the fried eggs and onions from the top. Finish of with a blob of ghee to add the aroma.
You can enjoy this egg kheema curry with pulao or rotis. Use some fresh mint and coriander leaves for garnishing if you like.