Dalma cooked with meat not something you can get anywhere in India. It is special Indian food recipe from the east. To be precise, this mutton recipe is from the state of Orissa. So basic recipe for dalma remains the same; it is dal recipe cooked with vegetables. When you add meat to it, it comes a gourmet Indian food recipe, more like a mutton curry recipe.
To try this Indian food recipe you need to choose a kind of dal or pulse (there are many options but we have chosen toor dal) to cook the base. You have to just add mutton to the recipe along with the vegetables to get the dalma recipe in perfect proportions.
Ingredients For Mutton Dalma:
1. Mutton 300 grams (cut into small pieces)
2. Too Dal or yellow 2 pigeon peas cups
3. Tomatoes 2 (slush)
4. Raw papaya half (cut into small pieces)
5. Potatoes 1 (cut into small pieces)
6. Striped pear gourd or Potola (cut into small pieces)
7. Onion 1 (chopped)
8. Green chillies 5 (minced)
9. Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
10. Bay leaves 2
11. Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
12. Dry red chillies 4
13. Red chilli powder 1 teaspoons
14. Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
15. Mustard oil 2 tablespoon
16. Salt as per taste
Procedure For Making Mutton Dalma:
- Marinate mutton pieces with tomato juice, salt and minced green chillies for half an hour.
- Heat oil in a deep pan. It needs to be mustard oil for the flavour and the zing. Now season the oil with red chillies, bay leaves, mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Fry it for a minute.
- Then saute the onions in it until they turn light brown. Now add the mutton pieces and fry them for at least 2-4 minutes until the flesh colour disappears totally.
- Add all the vegetables to the pan and let them cook in the juices of mutton for 5-7 minutes. Add salt and all the powered spices and stir it well.
- Now transfer the the entire mutton vegetable curry to a pressure cooker and add the 2 cups of dal you have soaked earlier to it.
- Add 4 cups of water and cook for the duration of 4 whistles on medium flame.
You can serve mutton dalma as a side rice with plain rice or pulao.