It is very difficult to get tired with Indian food because of its varied variety. We have all kinds of curries and side dishes in the Indian cuisine for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians. Take Indian chicken recipes for example. The are home-cooked chicken curries that have lots of gravy. We also have thick gravies like Tawa Chicken.
Tawa Chicken is essentially considered restaurant food but you can easily try this Indian chicken recipe at home. We all know that Indian food is spicy, Tawa Chicken is not an exception to this rule. It is a dry chicken curry with lots of spices. The special element in the Tawa Chicken recipe is that, it is cooked on the tawa or a shallow pan. That is why making this Indian chicken recipe is a time consuming affair. You need to keep adding small amounts of water until the chicken cooks completely.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Chicken- 500 grams (medium sized pieces)
- Fenugreek or methi seeds- 1tsp
- Dry red chillies- 2
- Onions- 2 (chopped finely)
- Ginger- 1 inch (grated)
- Garlic pods- 6 (minced)
- Tomato- 1 (chopped finely
- Turmeric powder- 1 pinch
- Red chilli powder- 2tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1tsp
- Lemon Juice- 1tbsp
- Fresh cream- 1tbsp
- Green bell peppers or capsicum- 1 (chopped)
- Onions- 2 (cubed)
- Coriander leaves- 2 sprigs (chopped)
- Oil- 2tbsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Heat oil in a shallow pan. Season it with methi seeds and red chillies. Add onions after 30 seconds.
- Saute the onions for 4-5 minutes on a medium flame. Then add ginger and garlic. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Then add the chicken pieces and all the powdered spices namely, turmeric, red chilli and garam masala.
- Saute the chicken pieces with the spices for 5 minutes on a low flame.
- Now, add tomatoes and sprinkle salt from the top. Cook till the tomato becomes pulp (3-4 minutes).
- Add lemon juice to the chicken and fresh cream to the pan. Mix well and pour 1 cup of warm water into the pan.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes on a low flame. Add another cup of warm water and cook for another 8-10 minutes.
- Now the chicken is completely cooked. Add the cubed onions, capsicum and sprinkle coriander leaves. Mix it up and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
Tawa chicken is a dry dish and is better complemented with rotis and naans than rice items.