Are you bored of trying the same old Indian chicken recipes that we are so used to? Then Malvani chicken can bring a breath of fresh air to your dining table. Most of us do not know that Malvan is a coastal region bordering Maharashtra and Goa; Malvani chicken is a special chicken curry recipe from this fantastic region. The specialty of Malvani chicken is that it has a proper coastal flavour. You can taste the splendid sea breeze and the coconut grooves in this spicy Indian curry.
Malvani chicken is made with a thick curry of coconut cooked in
spices. This chicken curry recipe includes a masala (that is made
separately) and a gravy. To prepare this Indian chicken recipe, you
have to prepare the marinade first, then the masala and finally the
Ingredients For Marinade:
- Ginger- 1 inch
- Garlic pods- 5
- Lemon juice- 2 tbsp
- Green chillies- 4
- Coriander leaves- ½ bunch
- Nutmeg (badi elaichi) powder- 1 tsp
- Salt- 2 tsp
Grind all the ingredients of the marinade together and marinate the chicken with this green paste.
Marination Time: 1 hour
Ingredients For Masala:
- Shah jeera- 1 tsp
- Cinnamon sticks- 1 inch
- Peppercorns- 5
- Cardamom pods- 2
- Star anise- 1
- Javitri- 1
- Onions- 4(chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste- 2 tbsp
- Coconut- 1 cup (grated)
- Chicken- 500 grams (cut into medium sized pieces)
- Bay leaf- 1
- Red chilli powder- 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder- 1 tsp
- Oil- 4 tbsp
- Salt- as per taste.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a deep bottomed pan. When it is piping hot, season it with shah jeera and all the whole spices namely cinnamon, cardamom, peppercorns, star anise and javitri.
2. Let the oil absorb the flavours of the spices for half a minute. Then saute half the onions in the oil.
3. After 3 to 4 minutes, add the grated coconut in the pan. Cook on low flame for another 3 to 4 minutes until the mixture turns brown.
4. Take it off the flame and wait for it to cool. Then grind it into a paste.
5. Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan and season it with bay leaf. Add the rest of the onions to this crackling oil.
6. When the onions turn golden add the ginger garlic paste to it. Cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
7. Add the marinated chicken to the pan now. Mix it with the fried spices and allow it to cook on medium flame for 3-4 minutes.
8.Add salt and all the powdered spices namely red chilli, coriander and garam masala powder. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
9. Now pour the ground coconut and onion paste into the pan. Mix well and cook in simmer until oil starts floating on top of the gravy.
10. Add 2 cups of water; cover and cook on low flame for 7-10 minutes.
Serve this superb Malvani chicken with Bhakri (roti made out of crushed rice) or hot steamed rice.