Rogan josh has its origins in Kashmir, India. It is a chicken curry recipe that is red hot in colour and extremely spicy. Rogan josh was first introduced by the Mughals in Kashmir. Ideal for all non vegetarians chicken rogan josh can be an awesome menu to be served on all occasions. The red colour in a rogan josh recipe comes primarily from the Kashmiri red chilli powder used in it. This special 'Kashmiri mirch' just adds the colour to a rogan josh recipe keeping the food mildly spicy.
Use this easy chicken recipe for preparing chicken rogan josh at home and serve it with either chapatis or rice.
Preparation Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
- Chicken- 1kg (boneless)
- Yoghurt- 250gms
- Ginger Garlic Paste- 3-4tbsp
- Coriander Powder- 1 ½tbsp
- Cumin Powder- 1 ½tbsp
- Turmeric- 1tbsp
- Red Chilli Powder- 1tbsp>
- Black Pepper- 1tbsp
- Cardamom- 2-3
- Cinnamon- 1-2
- Cloves- 1-2
- Onions- 4-5 (paste)
- Tomatoes- 1-2 (finely chopped)
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder- 2tbsp
- Sugar- 1tbsp
- Garam Masala- 1tbsp
- Coriander- 1 cup ( finely chopped)
- Oil- 5-6tbsp
- Salt- To Taste
For The Chicken Rogan Josh:
- Take the chicken in a large bowl and add yoghurt, ginger garlic paste, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric, red chilli powder, black pepper and some salt to it.
- Mix well and let it marinate for about 1 hour.
- Now take a deep frying pan over a gas oven and pour the oil into it. Add the cardamom, cinnamon and cloves into the oil.
- Put the onions in the same pan and fry till golden brown.
- Now add the tomatoes, Kashmiri red chilli powder and sugar to it. Stir well for 2-3 minutes over a low flame.
- Add the chicken into it. Saute for 3-4 minutes over a medium flame. Lower the flame and cover it with a lid.
- Let it simmer over a low flame for at least 30 minutes till the chicken becomes soft.
- Now take off the lid after the required time and again saute the whole mixture for 3-4 minutes over a medium flame.
- Add a cup of water if the mixture has turned too dry and stir well.
- Your rogan josh recipe is now ready to be served.
For The Serving
- Equally divide the chicken rogan josh in 4 or six plates as desirable.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve it hot.
This easy recipe for chicken rogan josh is ideal for home cooking. Make it on any day or a specific occasion to get praises as a fine cook.