Chicken korma is a special type of chicken curry. The special ingredient used in korma recipe is curd or yogurt. Chicken korma is a thus a chicken curry cooked in a rich and flavoured yogurt gravy. As the base of this Indian chicken recipe is curd, it usually has a thick gravy. The other spices used in a korma recipe are not really out of the box. You can make chicken korma at home if you have a kitchen well stocked with the common Indian spices.
Chicken korma is a great dish to have for lunch or dinner.
Reserve it for days when you feel like having something special but
do not want to work too hard for it.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Chicken- 500 grams (medium sized pieces)
- Lemon juice- 1/2 cup
- Ginger- 1 inch
- Garlic pods- 8
- Green chillies- 5
- Garam masala powder- 1tsp
- Onions- 2 (finely sliced)
- Coriander powder- 1tbsp
- Pepper- 1tsp
- Coconut- 2tbsp (grated)
- Yoghurt- 2tbsp
- Oil- 2tbsp
- Coriander leaves- 1tbsp (chopped)
- Salt- as per taste
1. Rub some salt and garam masala on the chicken pieces and keep them aside for the time being.
2. Grind ginger, garlic and green chillies together. Add lemon juice to this mixture and marinate the chicken pieces with it.
3. You can keep the chicken marinated for half an hour or just ten minutes depending on your convenience.
4. Heat 1tbsp oil in a deep bottomed pan. Saute the grated coconut in the oil for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove it from the pan and keep it aside.
5. Heat rest of the oil in the pan. Saute the onions for 5 minutes on low flame until it turns golden.
6. Then add the chicken pieces with the marinade to pan. Stir to mix it well and then cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
7. Add coriander powder, pepper and fried coconut to the pan now. Add 1 cup of water and cook for another 5 minutes on low flame.
8. Finally pour the yogurt into the pan. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes on low flame.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve chicken korma with rice or rotis.