Chicken Jalfrezi is a special recipe for Ramzan. The Holy month of Ramadan is just about to start and you surely would like to start with some special dishes. Chicken Jalfrezi is one such exotic chicken curry recipe. This recipe is Pakistani in origin, coming from its homeland of Karachi. You can easily try Chicken Jalfrezi as a Ramzan recipe because it allows you to prepare a delicious spicy chicken curry within no time.
The specialty of Chicken Jalfrezi is that it is cooked with bell
peppers (coloured capsicum) and tomatoes giving an oriental
flavour. This Ramzan recipe is not a typical Mughlai recipe. The
pieces of chicken for Chicken Jalfrezi are stir fried and crisp
unlike normal chicken curry recipes.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Chicken- 500 grams (medium sized pieces)
- Ginger garlic paste- 2tbsp
- Red chilli powder- 2tsp
- Turmeric power- 1tsp
- Onions- 2 (sliced)
- Ginger- 1 inch (grated)
- Garlic pods- 4 (chopped)
- Bell pepper- 1 (diced and sliced)
- Tomatoes- 2 (sliced)
- Green chillies- 4 (slit)
- Garam masala- 1tsp
- Oil- 2tbsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Coriander leaves- 4 stalks (for garnishing)
1. Marinate the chicken with ginger garlic paste, turmeric and red chilli powder and keep it aside for an hour. Make small slits on the chicken so that it absorbs the marinade.
2. Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan and saute the onions in it till they turn golden. Add the grated ginger and garlic; cook for 2 minutes on a low flame.
3. Now fry the chicken in the pan for 5-7 minutes. Keep the flame low and keep turning the chicken so that all sides become evenly crisp and golden.
4. Then add the green chillies and bell peppers to the pan. Fry for another few minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes and sprinkle salt on it. Cook for 5 minutes until the tomatoes soften.
6. Now sprinkle garam masala on the gravy that is bubbling up. Mix it well and let it cook on a low flame for 3-4 minutes.
7. Add a cup of water, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
Garnish the Chicken Jalfrezi with coriander leaves before you serve it with pulao or roti. Enjoy this dish for your special Ramadan dinners.