Chicken Changezi is a traditional Ramzan recipe that came as a treat after an entire day of fasting. This interesting chicken curry dates back to the 13th century. Folk lore goes that the fearsome Moghul conqueror Genghis Khan was mild when it came to his tastes. He did not like spicy Mughlai recipes. Chicken Changezi was a Ramzan recipe that was specially created for him.
Chicken Changezi is a curry cooked in milk and cream. That is rare when it comes Mughlai recipes that are extremely spicy. Chicken Changezi therefore makes a perfect Ramzan recipe. It will be mild on your palate after a day of fasting and the kaju (cashew) will give you lots of energy.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Chicken pieces- 500 grams
- Onions- 2 (chopped)
- Cashew- 1 cup
- Ghee- 1 cup
- Milk- 200 ml
- Ginger-garlic paste- 2tbsp
- Tomato- 1 (chopped)
- Coriander powder- 1tsp
- Chilli powder- 1tbsp
- Garam masala- 1tsp
- Chaat masala- 1tsp
- Fresh cream- 1 cup
- Makhane (lotus seeds)- 10
- Dry fenugreek (methi) leaves- 2tbsp
- Ginger- 1 inch (sliced finely)
- Green chillies- 4 (slit)
- Egg- 1 (boiled)
- Salt- as per taste
1. Saute the chicken pieces in ghee lightly. Fry them for 5 minutes on medium flame in a deep bottomed pan and keep aside.
2. Next, saute the onions in ghee. When the onions turn golden, add the cashew and cook it for 2 minutes. Strain and keep aside.
3. Now in the remaining ghee, add ginger-garlic paste, tomatoes, coriander, red chilli and garam masala powder. Sprinkle salt as per taste.
4. Cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes and pour milk into it. Add the fried chicken pieces, cover and cook for 7 minutes on low flame.
5. Meanwhile, make a paste of fried cashew and onions in a blender. Add this along with chaat masala into the pan.
6. Cook it for another 5 minutes on low flame.
7. In another pan, fry the makhane and methi leaves in a spoonful of ghee. Do not overdo it; cook for just about 2 minutes on low flame.
8. Add fresh cream to the gravy that is now starting to ooze oil and smell delicious.
9. Spread the fried makhane and methi leaves on the Chicken Changezi.
10. Garnish it with chopped ginger, green chillies and halved boiled egg.
You can serve this amazing dish with roti or rice or pulao.