You must try this recipe for side dish only if your audience (that is the people whoa re going to eat this dish) can tolerate a spicy curry. Otherwise you will have to alter the amount of chillies (both whole and powder) mentioned here to make this Indian chicken recipe a little less hot.
Ingredients For Achari Chicken:
1. Chicken (with bones) 500 grams cut into medium sized
2. Ginger garlic paste 2 tablespoons
3. Onion (large) 1 finely sliced
4. Tomato puree 2 tablespoons
5. Fenugreek (methi) seeds 1 teaspoon
6. Mustard (sarso) seeds 1 teaspoon
7. Cumin (jeera ) seeds 1 teaspoon
8. Fennel (saunf) seeds 1 teaspoon
9. Onions (kalaunji) seeds 1 teaspoon
10. Dry whole red chilies 4-6
11. Red chilli powder 2 teaspoons
12. Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
13. Curd 1 bowl (beaten)
14. Mustard oil 2 tablespoons
15. Lemon juice 2 tablespoons
16. Salt as per taste
Procedure For Achari Chicken:
- Marinate the chicken with lemon juice while you make the rest of the preparations to cook this dish.
- Heat mustard oil (use white oil if you don't like the flavour) in a deep pan until it starts steaming. Season it with all the seeds mentioned here. Wait till the seeds start popping and then add the red chillies.
- Saute the onions in this seasoned oil and when they start turning golden pour the ginger garlic paste.
- Give it about 2 minutes to cook while you stir and then add the chicken pieces to the pan. Lower the flame and cook for 2-3 minutes so that the chicken gets a fried coating of golden.
- Add the tomato puree now and also the salt so that the tomato gets digested. Add the powdered spices and add 2 cups of water.
- Cover and cook on low flame for 7-10 minutes until the chicken pieces become cooked and look succulent.
- At this point add the beaten curd slowly to the curry and keep stirring it in. It will thicken the curry immediately.
- Give it another 2 to 3 minutes to simmer and then take it off the flame.
You can serve Achari Chicken as a side dish, garnished with chopped coriander leaves.